We are starting spring break this week which means the end of another school year is around the corner. Gavin turned eight last week and loves finding a new book series. I asked him to tell me what his top book series are and what he would recommend to other second grade boys. If you have an early reader, you will definitely want to check some of these out!
These were his favorites:
- My Weird School by Dan Gutman – These books are super silly and I think are the books that sparked Gavin’s love of reading. He found the first one in the school library and came home and ready the entire book.
- I Survived by Lauren Tarshis – This is a historical fiction series that takes readers into the heart of history’s most thrilling and terrifying events. I wasn’t sure about these when he brought the first one home but he enjoys reading them and they are very educational.
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot by Dav Pilkey – These books are a fun and quick read and he enjoys that they have colored pictures in them. These books are written by the author of the popular Captain Underpants. From what I have read the Mighty Robot series is a good one to start if your son isn’t quite ready for Captain Underpants. He has recently come out with a new series called Dog Man that Gavin is also really enjoying.
- Ready Freddy by Abby Klein – This book series is about a boy who is scared of everything. We have read a lot of these together and I find them very entertaining as well.
- Notebook of Doom by Troy Cummings – These books have great illustrations and are easy to read. They combine mystery with humor which is why Gavin can’t wait for the next one to come out.
- Jake Drake by Andrew Clements – These books are great! Jake goes through real-world school problems and these books utilize humor to make them surmountable and fixable. I really enjoy reading these with him as well.
- Zeke Meeks by D.L. Green – Zeke Meeks is a silly boy that most elementary age boys can relate to. He has a younger and an older sister who get on his nerves.
- The Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black – Gavin first saw this on television before we realized it was a book series. It is mysterious and magical and he has soaked it all in.
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney – This is a fairly new series for us. The character is a little older than the main character in our other favorite books series. This is probably a good one to graduate to. Gavin says all the kids in his class are now reading this series so I got him one for his birthday. He hasn’t been able to put it down this weekend.I know there are other series out there and we love to try new books. Please let us know if there is a series you would add to this list!
Note: This post does include affiliate links.