The freezer challenge is officially over! It has been a fun six weeks but now I am ready to enjoy some of my freezer stash! It came just in time. We had a busy weekend. I normally would have meal planned on Saturday, but we were busy with soccer games, fall festivals and trunk-or-treat. It was nice to know that we could just pull something out of the freezer Sunday night. It was a cold and yucky day so we chose to have Lasagna Soup.
Since I didn’t have to worry about preparing a dinner, I was able to do some baking. I had bought buttermilk a couple of weeks ago to make cornbread. It is set to expire this week so I made a challenge to use some of it this weekend. I made Buttermilk Cheddar Drop Biscuits to go with the soup and some yummy Brown Sugar Buttermilk Muffins. I still have some buttermilk left, so I’ll be making Oven Fried Buttermilk Chicken for dinner. It feels good to actually use it up. In the past I have been guilty of throwing out food and not taking the time to try to use it.
In case you are wondering how the Freezer Challenge ended up, here is a recap of the dinners I was able to freeze over the past 6 weeks:
- Three trays of Chicken Tetrazzini
- Three trays of Lasagna
- Two Meals of Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
- Two Vegetable Soups
- One Lasagna Soup
- One Taco Soup
- One Freezer Bag of Chicken Taquitos
- One Freezer Bag of Cheeseburger Quesadillas
- One Chili
- One Southwest Beef & Pasta Skillet
- One Hawaiian Chicken
We also made an assortment of baked goods that did not last until the end of the six weeks so I didn’t include them in the recap. I plan to go ahead and get started on this stash right away. One of the worst things would be to let all of this good food go to waste. With that said, here is what our menu looks like this week:
- Sunday – Lasagna Soup served with Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
- Monday – Oven Fried Chicken served with Baked Potatoes and Green Beans
- Tuesday – Chicken Taquitos and Taco Soup (Happy Halloween!)
- Wednesday – Southwest Beef & Pasta Skillet served with Salad
- Thursday – Hawaiian Chicken served with Rice and Green Beans
- Friday – Cheeseburger Quesadillas
- Saturday – Linguine with Shrimp Scampi served with Roasted Broccoli
I hope you have enjoyed this Freezer Challenge. I’m taking a break from Menu Monday to enjoy the freezer stash and to get to know my new Instant Pot! I’ll be back in January with Menu Monday when we start the Whole 30! We’ve started it before but only lasted a few days so don’t get too excited. I’m hoping to do a bit of research beforehand to have some good recipes in place. If you are looking for any Whole 30 recipes currently, check out my Whole 30 Pinterest Board. I’ve been finding lots of great things to try!